The Social Media & Content Manager is responsible for crafting and leading the strategy for Sister District’s national social media campaigns, with a focus on growing the organization’s reach to engage volunteers, candidates, and media outlets. This role will also include providing guidance for and sometimes working directly with volunteers and candidates, in addition to managing national social media accounts and rapid response strategies for breaking news. The person in this role should have a forward-thinking, innovative, and creative mindset that is ready to push the Sister District brand forward through digital engagement.
The Social Media & Content Manager reports to the Director of Communications, and will work with the communications, organizing, development, and political departments to design and implement social media campaigns that will increase Sister District’s impact and reach in the digital space. This person in this role will set growth and reach targets for each platform, track performance, and report regularly.
Social Media Strategy (40%)
- Develop compelling, creative social media campaigns that expands and complements the 2020 communications plan and editorial calendar.
- Identify opportunities for new digital campaigns and rapid response to drive fundraising, volunteer action, and list-building through social media.
- Maintain a weekly posting schedule for all social media platforms, including monitoring trends and breaking news.
- Develop and maintain a regular system for reporting out campaign performance across platforms, evaluate their efficacy, and provide creative recommendations on how to improve.
- Research like-minded organizations and individual influencers to connect with across social platforms, both at the national and and state/district level (as relevant to current candidates).
Digital Content Development & Curation (40%)
- Work as a thought partner with Creative Lead to develop new infographics and other design needs.
- Monitor current candidates, alumni, and volunteer teams for items to repost, highlight, or develop into further content.
- Work with staff, guest authors, campaign staff, and volunteers to solicit and develop content for the Sister District blog and website.
- Serve as project manager for content development programs, including alumni candidates legislative accomplishments and featured candidates.
- Copy edit and fact check email blasts and other external communications as needed.
Volunteer & Campaign Services (20%)
- Collaborate with organizing, political, and development departments to integrate offline organizing, candidate services, and organizational fundraising into our digital and social media programs.
- Create and update suggested messaging and social media kits for volunteers, candidates, and other key stakeholders.
- Work directly with volunteer teams to train and educate on social media best practices.
- Push new content and rapid response messaging directly to volunteer teams.
- 1-3 years experience managing progressive digital campaigns or social media programs on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for political campaigns or progressive non-profits.
- Liberal / progressive political movement experience, either professionally or extensively as a volunteer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to write digital content quickly and with minimal oversight.
- Strong copyediting skills.
- Experience and comfort with social media metrics and reporting.
- Cultural competency to work with stakeholders across a wide range of demographics.
- Passion for and understanding of the Democratic state legislature space.
- Experience working directly with grassroots volunteers.
- Professional experience working with Action Network, Mailchimp, Mobilize, ActBlue, or WordPress.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience running political ads on social media, especially Facebook ad targeting.
Location and Start Date
Sister District is a remote organization and this position can be filled from anywhere in the United States. We are looking to fill the position immediately.
This is a full time position with a salary of $50,000 plus reimbursement for healthcare expenses, reimbursement for phone and internet, and a generous leave policy.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Social Media and Content Manager” and attach the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position (this can be the body of the email)
- The names of three references with accurate contact information
- A description of your most successful social media campaign, submitted with your top three performing posts (performance metric can be decided by applicant, e.g., by engagement, funds raised, influencer recognition, etc.).
Format the file titles as follows: firstname_lastname_stateofresidenceabbreviation_cover and firstname_lastname_stateofresidenceabbreviation_resume. Your cover letter will be considered a writing sample.
The Sister District Project is a grassroots political startup. We were formed in the wake of Donald Trump’s election. We organize volunteers across the country to build progressive power and capacity in order to win strategic state legislative elections for Democrats. We “sister” our volunteer teams with candidates who receive field and fundraising support. We currently have about 45,000 members, and we have an ambitious plan for 2020 to maximize our electoral impact ahead of redistricting in 2021. Our organization is small, agile, and bursting with energy and hope for the future. We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Sister District Project values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. Sister District prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.