November 5 is Election Day
Moments ago, Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that the House of Representatives will begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump. As new allegations surface about Trump’s illegal dealings with the former Soviet Union, many of us continue to ask how low is too low (still no end in sight).
Trust me, I want him gone as much as you do. But with the Senate still in the hands of Republicans, and impeachment historically unpopular, there’s no guarantee these proceedings will lead to him being removed from office. With chaos and instability at the federal level, we must re-commit to building lasting Democratic power the only surefire way: by electing Democrats up and down the ballot.
I founded Sister District out of a sense of despair after the 2016 election.
But the reality is that Donald Trump’s presidency has brought out the best in so many of us. I personally see it every day in our Sister District community, and I want to take this moment to remind you, and myself, of the power we have when we come together.
Critical elections are happening in just six weeks.
Let’s re-commit to the most immediate way we can help fix our democracy: getting Democrats elected in Virginia, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Please contribute $20.19 to our efforts right now.
Our volunteers inspire me
Our volunteers have been working tirelessly all year. Here are just a few of the ways that our teams have inspired me in 2019:
- We partnered with EMILY’s List for our biggest week of phonebanking yet, making over 7,075 calls
- Our Sonoma West team raised over $4,000 in a one-day clothing swap, and $25,000 year to date.
- In New York City, our volunteers threw a lively event featuring cast members from Hadestown which raised over $25,000 for Shelly Simonds and Wendy Gooditis
- Seattle volunteers threw three fundraisers and raised over $25,000 though at least 227 individual donations
- We welcomed former Virginia Governor Terry McCauliffe to an event in San Francisco that raised over $100,000 for candidates in partnership with the CleanTech Party and NextGen America.
- Teams across the country participated in Weekends of Action; making phone calls, writing postcards, knocking doors, and sending text messages in support of our candidates.
By the Numbers: What We’ve Done (So Far!)
Each of our 90+ volunteer teams and affiliates are matched with 2-3 sister races. This year alone, they have given our campaigns the following boost.
- Contacted voters more than 325,000 times (190,000 postcards, 85,000 phone calls, 50,419 text messages)
- Raised over $570,000 in small-dollar donations directly for our candidates
Why Virginia, Mississippi, and Louisiana?
We target strategic “last chance” races that are the final opportunity for Democrats to win power before redistricting in 2021. We could flip Virginia completely blue and we must end voter suppression and gerrymandering in Mississippi and Louisiana.
We’re not waiting, and we’re not holding anything back this election cycle.
Thank you for being part of this movement. Let’s keep at it!
Rita and the entire SDP Team