2020-06-11 HQL Update
HQL Update: Wave 2 Candidates, Volunteer Leader Call Tonight, and Special Events
What a week. We hope you are taking care of yourselves.
We’re proud to announce our 11 new candidates today. Thank you all in advance for your tireless efforts to help elect these leaders who will help to champion the progressive change that we so desperately need.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Wave 2 Candidates
- Volunteer Leader Call – TONIGHT
- Special Events
- Weekends of Action Kickoff – 7/24-26
- ICYMI – June Talking Points Memo
- Resource Library Corner – Newsletter Example Library
Tomorrow is Juneteenth, which commemorates the date in 1865 that the last slaves in the United States were liberated. It took two and a half years from the time the Emancipation Proclamation was signed until all enslaved people were freed. Since that time, our country has made frustratingly slow progress in the journey for equality. After 155 years, structural racism continues to plague our institutions and perpetuate discrimination against Black people. We have so much work to do. Each of us must listen, understand, act, and most of all, be held accountable to make radical changes, and we have to do it now. Nevertheless, we also hold hope that progress and change are possible, and we will never give up on our vision of living in a truly equal society.
We hope you are able to take some time tomorrow to acknowledge and celebrate this important day, at this important moment in history.
2. WAVE 2 CANDIDATES
We are absolutely thrilled to announce our second wave of 2020 endorsements today. These 11 new candidates join our existing slate of 19 candidates running in 9 key states. Read more in our announcement and share our announcement on Facebook and Twitter. Check out each candidate’s page for more social shareables.
3. VOLUNTEER LEADER CALL – TONIGHT
Topic: Time to Connect + Phone Recruitment for Events
Let’s take time to connect, hear from Co-Founders Rita and Lala, have a conversation about how we and our volunteers are navigating this moment, and look at HQ suggestions on communications and messaging.
Then we’ll move to a workshop on personally connecting with your volunteers by phone to invite them to events. We’ll hear from teams who have integrated regular phone recruitment into their work and do a tutorial on the ease and utility of our system. Let’s increase RSVPs and drive your flake rate down for phonebanks & fundraisers!
Monthly Volunteer Leader Calls occur on the third Thursday of each month at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. The next installment is May 21. Register here.
4. SPECIAL EVENTS
We have a number of exciting partnership events coming up. Please mark your calendars, and share with friends!
- Mon. 6/29 at 5pm PT / 7pm CT / 8pm ET: Fundraiser for Sydney Batch in North Carolina with EMILY’s List – RSVP by donating
- Mon. 6/29 at 3:30pm PT / 5:30pm CT / 6:30pm ET: Fundraiser for Ann Johnson in Texas with Victory Fund – RSVP by donating
- Wed. 7/15 at 5pm PT / 7pm CT / 8pm ET: Fundraiser for Sister District candidates: Slay The Dragon Post-Screening Panel with Dave Daley (Ratf**ked and Unrigged), Sam Wang (Princeton Gerrymandering Project), and Meaghan Winter (All Politics is Local); moderated by Lala Wu – RSVP coming soon!
If your group is supporting Sydney or Ann, we have AB links that you can share with your members so that you will get credit for donations that you drive to these events.
5. WEEKENDS OF ACTION KICKOFF – 7/24-26
Save the date! We’re kicking off our 2020 Weekends of Action on July 24! Weekends of Action are great opportunities for teams to activate new volunteers and re-engage existing volunteers. Please plan ahead and consider using these weekends to schedule field events such as phonebanking and postcarding. Check out the schedule below, and stay tuned for additional messaging guidance and sample social posts.
July 24-26 100 Days to Election
August 15-18 19th Amendment Ratification Anniversary
September 18-20 Constitution Weekend
October 2-4 30 Days to Election Day
Oct/Nov 30-3 All hands on deck! Final GOTV push
6. ICYMI – JUNE TALKING POINTS MEMO
Our June Talking Points Memo provides guidance on topics such as:
- Resources on anti-racism
- Sample language to use in your emails and social media
- Statements from our candidates
- Guidance on supporting Black-led efforts and organizations
7. RESOURCE LIBRARY CORNER – NEWSLETTER EXAMPLE LIBRARY
For handy links, explainers, and everything else, check out our Resource Library. Here, we’re highlighting a different resource each week.
This week, check out our Newsletter Examples. Regular, compelling newsletters help keep volunteers engaged and make it more likely that, if asked, they’ll attend or host an event, spread the word, or donate to your candidates. Each team’s Editor is responsible for newsletter and email communications. For inspiration, and to help inform your own newsletter game, have a look through the following examples culled from the many great newsletters teams sent over the past year.