2020-9-24 HQL Update
HQL Update: RBG, Barack’s Video on States, DLCC Event, Fundraising Deadline, and More
From Justice Ginsburg’s passing to Breonna Taylor’s killers continuing to evade justice, this has been a very hard week.
But we are also reminded of two of the many reasons that our work in the states is so critically important—states are one of the last lines of defense against a conservative Supreme Court, and states have the power to enact criminal legal system reforms.
Check out our updated messaging and articles that help connect the dots between the SCOTUS fight and the states, and Barack’s video on why states matter. Attend our fundraiser for historic firsts with the DLCC
And then let’s phonebank the *** out of the next 40 days.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Phonebanking Tips
- List Additions
- Fundraising Deadline – Tue. 10/27
- Cory Booker & Alyssa Milano for Sara Rodriguez – Mon. 9/28
- Historic Firsts With the DLCC – Mon. 10/5
- September Volunteer Leader Call – Recap
- Talking Points Memo – Coming Soon
- Resource Library – Image & Video Asset Library
Our #1 goal in this final stretch is to maximize total dials for our candidates. We can do this by increasing (1) phonebank events, (2) phonebank attendees, and (3) Dial Efficiency aka more dials in a given amount of time.
To help us do that, we suggest the following:
- Increase phonebank frequency, or add HQ phonebanks to your promotion
- Upload Zoom registrants so HQ can add them to the list, which translates into more callers
- Welcome Wagon includes invite to phonebanks in initial outreach
- Editor sends weekly phonebank success/recruit email to entire team list
- Make a plan with organizing staff to call through your team list to recruit phonebankers
- Have phonebankers recruit new volunteers during phonebanks
- Phonebank Trainers focus on Dial Efficiency (e.g., hang up after 3 or 4 rings)
- BONUS: Start keeping track of local volunteers recruited for campaigns and report it out in your weekly recaps
Also check out the September Volunteer Leader Call Handout. Some of the above tips are called out with highlights. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your organizing staffer with questions!
The bulk list additions continue! Those receiving new member notifications may continue to see sizeable batches of new sign-ups. We’re now including more information about where these folks came from. For example:
- MA-RI Phonebank 2020 = person signed up for an MA-RI phonebank
- HQ Training 2020 = Training to Win registrant
- Vote Save America = person signed up via Adopt-a-State program to make calls for FL (Note these folks signed up because they care about Florida, but they may be interested in calling for your states too!)
You can use this information to customize your Welcome Wagon outreach. If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to reach out to your organizing staffer.
FUNDRAISING DEADLINE – TUE. 10/27
Please mark your calendars! The fundraising deadline for ALL Sister District Candidates will be one week before the election, on Tuesday 10/27 at 11:59 ET. All ActBlue fundraising links will be shut off at this time, so please plan accordingly.
CORY BOOKER & ALYSSA MILANO FOR SARA RODRIGUEZ – MON. 9/28
Join us on Monday 9/28 at 3:30pm PT / 5:30pm CT / 6:30pm ET for a virtual event to support Sara Rodriguez running for the Wisconsin House. Sara is a nurse, public health expert, and served as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer with the CDC. She’s the leader we need to bring science and common sense back to Wisconsin. Special guests: Cory Booker, Alyssa Milano, and our very own Gaby Goldstein. Register here.
HISTORIC FIRSTS WITH THE DLCC – MON. 10/5
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is the official party committee charged with supporting state legislative races. We are psyched to team up with them to bring you a fundraiser for a superstar slate of historic firsts in our top targeted chambers on Monday 10/5 at 5pm PT / 7pm CT / 8pm ET. Register here.
Come hear from DNC Rising Stars, Michigan Rep. Mari Manoogian, the first Armenian American woman in the MI state house, and Georgia Rep. Sam Park, the first openly gay man to be elected to the GA legislature and the first Asian American Democrat elected to the GA General Assembly. They will talk about what’s at stake in state legislatures this year, and what it will take to build a truly inclusive future. Our very own Rita Bosworth and DLCC President Jessica Post will moderate the discussion.
SEPTEMBER MONTHLY VOLUNTEER LEADER CALL – RECAP
Thanks so much to everyone that joined us on our monthly Volunteer Leader Call on September 17!
We had a great conversation focused around workshopping best practices to increase efficiency and attendance at phonebanks. Plus, we had a visit from Arianna Rodriguez, Social Media and Content Manager at Sister District, who shared top recommendations for how to make the most of your social media game. We included some topline resources and recommendations in the September Volunteer Leader Call Handout.
TALKING POINTS MEMO – COMING SOON
Our October TPM will be coming soon—in the meantime, please check out our suggested Ruth Bader Ginsburg Memorial Messaging. We’ve updated it with some new language that helps to connect the dots between the SCOTUS fight and our work in the states, plus new articles for sharing.
And don’t miss our current Social Squad suggested social media posts with new updates posted every day!
As a bonus, our favorite former state legislator Barack Obama just released a new video about the importance of state legislatures! Quote Tweet it and include a link to sign up for a phonebank.
RESOURCE LIBRARY CORNER – IMAGE & VIDEO ASSET LIBRARY
This week, we’re highlighting our Asset Library! Are your promotion images looking tired? Check out our Asset Library that is full of collateral for your digital outreach. Find it under Communications → Image and Video Asset Library.