Memorial Day is around the corner and spring is here! We are excited to kick-off phonebanking this weekend. Phonebanking is one of the most effective ways to identify and persuade voters. Campaigns are won and lost on the doors and the phone.
Sister District appreciates how hard you’re all working. As promised, we will reveal our second wave of endorsed candidates after Virginia’s June Primary. Let’s continue to build together; our energy and passion are more necessary than ever.
“Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.”
― Shirley Chisholm
IN THIS ISSUE
- Hello, Phonebanking!
- State Bridges-Updates
- 2021 Weekends Of Action
- New: Sister District Action Network (SDAN) – Quarterly Update Calls
- Leader Call – Tue. 5/20
- BIPOC Volunteer Working Group – Thu. 6/3
- Political Director Call – Tue. 6/8
- Get Social With Us!
Big shout out to teams kicking off weekly phonebanks over the next week! East Bay (with Contra Costa County), CA Peninsula, Sacramento, Portland (with Eugene & Riverside), South Bay & MA-RI, go get ‘em. With ten other teams just about to launch programs, we’re in great shape! Check out the Sister District Directory to see which teams have programs live on Mobilize so far & let’s get those Early Dials for our candidates.
STATE BRIDGES – UPDATES
We are excited to have announced our second slate of State Bridges partner organizations: Citizen Action of Wisconsin, the North Carolina A. Philip Randolph Education Fund, and the New Georgia Project Action Fund! These three organizations play key roles in building progressive power in their states, and we are so proud to support them. All co-hosts are welcome for any of our upcoming State Bridges events!
- May 19 — Florida Rising. SD Sonoma County East and SD East Bay will Host. All Co-Hosts welcome!
- June 1 — Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA). SD San Francisco, SD Marin, and SD CA3 will Host. All Co-Hosts welcome!
- June 14 — Citizen Action of Wisconsin. SD Chicago, SD South Bay, and SD Wisconsin will Host. All Co-Hosts welcome!
- July 1 — North Carolina A. Philip Randolph Education Fund (NCAPREF). SD Portland and SD Puget Sound will Host. All Co-Hosts welcome!
- July 20 — New Georgia Project Action Fund (NGPAF). SD Sacramento and SD MA-RI will Host. All Co-Hosts welcome!
State Bridges page: https://sisterdistrict.com/state-bridges
State Bridges Mobilize Page: https://www.mobilize.us/sisterdistrict/event/377479/
State Bridges program guide
Get State Bridges on your team’s Mobilize page
Please see the “Promoting HQ and Other Team Events” section in our How-To: Mobilize guide for steps.
If you’re not an event Host, there are two ways you can help these organizations:
- Raise money unrelated to, or in addition to, the Event Series. Request your own unique ActBlue link for any and all organizations, and fundraise like you would for a candidate.
- “Co-Host” any and all of the events by requesting your unique ActBlue link, and raise money along with promoting the event(s) on your Mobilize page as described above!
- SDAN is working to confirm a final slate of organizations for August. If you’d like to Host, please fill out this form. If you have questions, please contact Ore at email@example.com.
2021 WEEKENDS OF ACTION
NEW: SISTER DISTRICT ACTION NETWORK (SDAN) – QUARTERLY UPDATE CALLS
Our first Quarterly SDAN Update call is on Wednesday, June 2 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Join SDAN SVP Gaby Goldstein and SDAN staff for updates about SD strategy, research projects, our programs supporting state legislators (including our SD alums of course!), and civic engagement programs including State Bridges. This year, the SDAN Quarterly Updates will be Wed. June 2, Wed. September 1, and Wed. December 1. All calls are at 5 pm PT / 8 pm ET. Special Guests for June 2: Dr. Mallory Roman, Associate Director of Research at SDAN, and Ore Obiwumi, Program Associate at SDAN — join us for a Q&A about voter outreach tactics research, and an update about State Bridges and its future!
LEADER CALL – THU. 5/20
It’s an all-workshop call with two 20-min breakout room sessions. You’ll have the option to join breakout rooms focused on Fundraising, Phonebanking, or Communications to connect with other leaders to discuss plans & programming ideas. Sign up here!
BIPOC VOLUNTEER WORKING GROUP – THU. 6/3
We have relaunched our monthly BIPOC volunteer meeting as a working group to help Sister District achieve a more inclusive and equitable organization. Our next convening will be on Thursday, June 3, 4pm PT/7 PM EST! If you identify as BIPOC, we hope that you’ll join us! Please sign up here, and feel free to share this with fellow leaders and volunteers.
POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUE. 6/8
Our next Political Director Call will be on Tuesday, June 8th at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Jarvis Houston, our Organizing and Political Director, will lead this call. Sign up here!
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
Every week ask your friends to join a Sister District event!
Suggested Messaging for phonebanking:
- Last year, I spoke to hundreds of voters while volunteering with Sister District! My phone calls helped flip the Senate, elect President Biden, and helped win numerous state legislative seats. So not only did I get to save our democracy, but I also had a lot of fun!
This year, I’m excited to be calling voters in Virginia! Will you join me?
- We can never take a break from protecting our democracy, and that’s why I’m calling voters in Virginia with Sister District.
Sister District makes it fun, easy, and they provide a great support system! Will you join me?
- Have you thought about phonebanking but haven’t tried it? Our research says phonebanking is worth the energy!
Social Squad guidance
- Join the Social Squad for updates about new content and social posts, click here!
- The Asset Library is filled with goodies! From candidate graphics to phonebanking graphics, it’s all here!
- Do you want HQ to promote your fundraising event for VA? Fill out the form: Request for Event Promotion on Social Media.
- For a deeper dive, also check out our 2021 Messaging Memo.