The right to vote is one that must be exercised by everyone who is eligible to vote, especially with the upcoming election in Virginia. Discriminatory voter ID laws prevent millions of people from voting each year. Because leaders like you helped flip Virginia blue in 2019, the legislators passed various laws that have changed lives. Let’s continue to grow together.
“Whatever you do, do it with passion. The rest comes by itself.”–Fabiola Haro
IN THIS ISSUE
- Student Organizer Phonebank Camp!
- State Bridges – Updates
- ICYMI: 2021 Weekends Of Action
- ICYMI: Sister District Action Network (SDAN) – Quarterly Update Calls and New Research
- BIPOC Volunteer Working Group – Thu. 6/3
- Political Director Call – Tue. 6/8
- Leader Call – Thu. 6/17
- Future Winners Panel: SDAN, EMILY’s List & Run for Something – Thu. 6/17
- 2021 Metrics Dashboard is Here
- Share Stories with HQ!
- Get Social with Us!
- STUDENT ORGANIZER PHONEBANK CAMP!
Know an aspiring organizer in high school or college? Maybe they’re Phonebank Camp material! Check it out & forward: https://sisterdistrict.com/students. We’re running three-week camps in July and August to train a dozen students how to run a great virtual phonebank. After attending and co-hosting phonebanks, each student will guest lead a phonebank in our system. Pretty cool. Phonebank leaders, stay tuned; Neal will reach out to see if you want to be involved!
- STATE BRIDGES – UPDATES
Our State Bridges events have had a combined total of over 1,000 RSVPs! Going forward, you can find recordings of past events on our State Bridges webpage here. We’ve got four more State Bridges events coming up and are currently screening outstanding grassroots organizations for August events. Feel free to attend, promote, and/or become Co-Hosts for any of these upcoming events. The more the merrier! You can check out our current schedule and sign up for future State Bridges events on our Mobilize page.
- ICYMI: 2021 WEEKENDS OF ACTION
- ICYMI: SISTER DISTRICT ACTION NETWORK (SDAN) – QUARTERLY UPDATE CALLS AND NEW RESEARCH
Our first Quarterly SDAN Update call is on Wednesday, June 2 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Join SDAN SVP Gaby Goldstein and SDAN staff for updates about SD strategy, research projects, our programs supporting state legislators (including our SD alums of course!), and civic engagement programs including State Bridges. This year, the SDAN Quarterly Updates will be Wed. June 2, Wed. September 1, and Wed. December 1. All calls are at 5 pm PT / 8 pm ET. Special Guests for June 2: Dr. Mallory Roman, Associate Director of Research at SDAN, and Ore Obiwumi, Program Associate at SDAN — join us for a Q&A about voter outreach tactics research, and an update about State Bridges and its future!
SDAN also just released the findings from the Mobilize + personal event reminder text message pilot. We found no difference in event attendance when RSVPs received the automated reminder text from Mobilize and an additional personal reminder text. In short, Mobilize text reminders are enough — and they do boost attendance! Read more here.
- BIPOC VOLUNTEER WORKING GROUP – THU. 6/3
We have relaunched our monthly BIPOC volunteer meeting as a working group to help Sister District achieve a more inclusive and equitable organization. Our next convening will be on Thursday, June 3, 4pm PT / 7 PM EST! If you identify as BIPOC, we hope that you’ll join us! Please sign up here, and feel free to share this with fellow leaders and volunteers.
- POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUE. 6/8
Our next Political Director Call will be on Tuesday, June 8th at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Jarvis Houston, our Organizing and Political Director, will lead this call. Sign up here!
- LEADER CALL – THU. 6/17
Recruitment Workshop! Please join Organizing and Political Director Jarvis Houston to talk about recruiting, developing leaders, and scaling voter contact and fundraising support. Will include breakout room sessions to connect with other leaders to discuss strategies & tactics. Sign up here!
- FUTURE WINNERS PANEL: SDAN, EMILY’S LIST & RUN FOR SOMETHING – THU. 6/17
Join us on Thursday, June 17 at 1pm PT / 4pm ET for a panel discussing our new Future Winners program as part of the Pipeline Initiative’s Future of the Progressive Pipeline Webinar Series. Gaby Goldstein will join our partners Sarah Curmi, VP of State and Local at EMILY’s List and Lavanna Martinez, Senior Political at Run for Something, for a conversation about the program and how we’re working together to sustain the pipeline of progressive state legislative candidates who came up a bit short in their last run. All are welcome! Sign up to join the webinar here.
- 2021 METRICS DASHBOARD IS HERE
As in 2020, the Metrics Dashboard is here to make it easier for teams and affiliates to set your own goals, track your progress, and better visualize how you fit into the bigger picture. You will be able to use this dashboard to report your metrics weekly (or less frequently if you desire) on Mondays starting May 31! These metrics will feed into a cumulative dashboard that will enable you to see nationwide totals. To get started, please follow the steps here: SD Team Metrics Dashboard Program 2021. If you have questions, contact your Organizing Dept staffer.
- SHARE STORIES WITH HQ!
We’re collecting stories to share on our website and social media to encourage others to volunteer, donate, help lead a team, and spread the word about why states matter. Please share and encourage other volunteers to share! Examples:
- You did a meet & greet with your candidate and want to talk about how awesome she is!
- Your team put on a cool event
- One of your phonebankers had an inspiring call
- You ran a phonebank and did a great job of tidying the campaign’s data or found an undecided voter, etc.
Submit your stories and share with volunteers to submit their stories here: Sister District Testimonials form! Pro tip: keep this form link handy at phonebanks to share in the Zoom chat when someone has a great call. It’s included in the Phonebank Leader Script Template.
- GET SOCIAL WITH US!
Every Friday ask 10 of your friends to follow Sister District:
Tips on Following:
- Post a fun group picture that highlights the friendships you’ve made along the way, and invite them to follow a SD account.
- Use a story to invite your friends to phonebank! Remember that time you phonebanked, and you had a great time speaking to a voter? Share that story!
- Are your friends passionate about reproductive health? State legislators in VA rolled back the most harmful restrictions on abortion access. Share with your friends the importance of keeping VA blue.
- Are your friends passionate about voting rights in AZ, TX, and FL? Invite them to follow our channel and to attend a State Bridges event! They can hear from organizers on the ground and how we work to support them.
Social Squad guidance
- Join the Social Squad for updates about new content and social posts, click here!
- The Asset Library is filled with goodies! From candidate graphics to phonebanking graphics, it’s all here!
- Do you want HQ to promote your fundraising event for VA? Fill out the form: Request for Event Promotion on Social Media.
- For a deeper dive, also check out our 2021 Messaging Memo.