The summertime is here! We know it can be hard to organize through the heat and everyone’s vacation schedules. But thank you for keeping at it—our candidates are counting on you! We are looking forward to announcing our second wave of candidates on June 22.
“As long as poverty, injustice, and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest.”
IN THIS ISSUE
- Re-Engage 2020 Donors
- Volunteer Recruitment by Phone
- State Bridges – Updates
- ICYMI: Student Organizer Phonebank Camp
- Future Winners Panel: SDAN, Emily’s List & Run for Something – Thu. 6/17
- Leader Call – Thu. 6/17
- BIPOC Volunteer Working Group – Thu. 7/1
- Political Director Call – Tue. 7/13
- How to Deal with Internet Trolls
- ICYMI: 2021 Metrics Dashboard is Here
- ICYMI: Share Stories with HQ!
- RE-ENGAGE 2020 DONORS!
Looking to find matching donors for events? Want to connect with past donors and ask them to contribute again? Want to activate previously-engaged volunteers? Over the spring, several teams ran projects to accomplish those goals. The Sister District NYC Fundraising Committee put together a successful project and were kind enough to document their work! Check it out for ideas! Case Study: SD NYC Donor Reengagement and Matching Recruitment
- VOLUNTEER RECRUITMENT BY PHONE
Three Puget Sound leaders with two Organizing Fellows made recruitment calls over the past week through a targeted list of 169 volunteers who had donated or attended past events. By the numbers:
- 22.5% contact rate
- 32% of contacts saying yes to at least one ask
- 73% of contacts who didn’t say yes said maybe to at least one ask
Let’s do a project! See: Volunteer Recruitment By Phone & contact your Organizing Dept staffer to get started.
- STATE BRIDGES – UPDATES
Our LUCHA State Bridges event on June 1st, hosted by Sister District Marin, Sister District CA-3, and Sister District San Francisco, was a huge success! We beat our stretch goal, raising over $22,000 for LUCHA! You can find a recording and transcript of that event, and all of our previous events on our State Bridges webpage here.
Up next is our State Bridges event for Citizen Action of Wisconsin on Monday, June 14 at 5pm PT/ 8pm ET. Check out this great promotional video from our special guests JoAnna Bautch and Robert Kraig! Please feel free to attend, promote, and/or become Co-Hosts for this event. The more the merrier! You can check out our current schedule and sign up for future State Bridges events on our Mobilize page.
- ICYMI: STUDENT ORGANIZER PHONEBANK CAMP
Know an aspiring organizer in high school or college? Maybe they’re Phonebank Camp material! Check it out & forward: https://sisterdistrict.com/students. We’re running three-week camps in July and August to train a dozen students how to run a great virtual phonebank. After attending and co-hosting phonebanks, each student will guest lead a phonebank in our system. A few spots are still available for each camp, so encourage aspiring student organizers in your life to apply right away!
- FUTURE WINNERS PANEL: SDAN, EMILY’S LIST & RUN FOR SOMETHING – THU. 6/17
Join us next Thursday, June 17 at 1pm PT / 4pm ET for a panel discussing our new Future Winners program as part of the Pipeline Initiative’s Future of the Progressive Pipeline Webinar Series! Gaby Goldstein will join our partners Sarah Curmi, VP of State and Local at EMILY’s List and Lavanna Martinez, Senior Political at Run for Something, for a conversation about how we’re working together to sustain the pipeline of progressive state legislative candidates who came up a bit short in their 2020 run. All are welcome! Sign up to join the webinar here.
- LEADER CALL – THU. 6/17
Recruitment Workshop! Please join Organizing and Political Director Jarvis Houston to talk about recruiting, developing leaders, and scaling voter contact and fundraising support. Will include breakout room sessions to connect with other leaders to discuss strategies & tactics. Thursday, June 17 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Sign up here!
- BIPOC VOLUNTEER WORKING GROUP – THU. 7/1
We have relaunched our monthly BIPOC volunteer meeting as a working group to help Sister District achieve a more inclusive and equitable organization. Our next convening will be on Thursday, July 1, 4pm PT / 7 PM EST! If you identify as BIPOC, we hope that you’ll join us! Please sign up here, and feel free to share this with fellow leaders and volunteers.
- POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUE. 7/13
Our next Political Director Call will be on Tuesday, July 13th at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Jarvis Houston, our Organizing and Political Director, will lead this call. Sign up here!
- HOW TO DEAL WITH INTERNET TROLLS
We’ve had a few trolls and GOP pages hanging out on our pages. Don’t panic! Trolls and bots happen. Here’s how to respond:
- Read our guidance: Dealing with Trolls and Bots on Social Media
- Do not interact with trolls or GOP pages, especially if they retweet/share your post. They are trying to grab your attention and distract us from our work.
- If any comment seems especially harmful or nasty, please reach out to Ariana, and we will create a plan moving forward.
- ICYMI: 2021 METRICS DASHBOARD IS HERE
As in 2020, the Metrics Dashboard is here to make it easier for teams and affiliates to set your own goals, track your progress, and better visualize how you fit into the bigger picture. You will be able to use this dashboard to report your metrics weekly (or less frequently if you desire) on Mondays starting May 31! These metrics will feed into a cumulative dashboard that will enable you to see nationwide totals. To get started, please follow the steps here: SD Team Metrics Dashboard Program 2021. If you have questions, contact your Organizing Dept staffer.
- ICYMI: SHARE STORIES WITH HQ!
We’re collecting stories to share on our website and social media to encourage others to volunteer, donate, help lead a team, and spread the word about why states matter. Please share and encourage other volunteers to share! Examples:
- You did a meet & greet with your candidate and want to talk about how awesome she is!
- Your team put on a cool event
- One of your phonebankers had an inspiring call
- You ran a phonebank and did a great job of tidying the campaign’s data or found an undecided voter, etc.
Submit your stories and share with volunteers to submit their stories here: Sister District Testimonials form! Pro tip: keep this form link handy at phonebanks to share in the Zoom chat when someone has a great call. It’s included in the Phonebank Leader Script Template.