In just three months, our Sister District teams have made incredible progress for our Virginia candidates—to date, we have raised over $200,000 in small dollar donations. This early money is helping our candidates build strong campaigns from the ground up. In addition, our volunteers have already made 59% of total dials for candidates. Fantastic!
“To create something from nothing is one of the greatest feelings, and I would – I don’t know, I wish it upon everybody. It’s heaven.”
IN THIS ISSUE
- We Passed $200K Raised For Candidates!
- Request Candidates for Phonebanks
- 3 New Postcard Studies Targeting VA Voters
- Plan for August Weekend of Action – Sat. 8/21 & Sun. 8/22
- ICYMI: Teams Pages Updates
- State Bridges: PA Stands Up – Tue. 8/3
- BIPOC Volunteer Group – Thu. 8/5
- Political Director Call – Tue. 8/10
- Leader Call – Thu. 8/19
- Get Social With Us!
- What & Why: The Sign Up Form on Your Team Page
- Using Mobilize for Remote Postcarding Efforts
- WE PASSED $200K RAISED FOR CANDIDATES!
Congratulations! It’s a big milestone. As mentioned last time, as of last reporting in June we had raised 13.5% of campaigns’ total fundraising to date in 2021, outpacing our 8% level in 2020. Campaigns are so appreciative, and it’s all thanks to your ingenuity and great organizing. Don’t let up now, let’s go big over the next two months to help campaigns build winning GOTV programs!
- REQUEST CANDIDATES FOR PHONEBANKS
Having candidates join your phonebank is a great way to drive attendance and maximize volunteer experience! Just as with candidate appearances for fundraisers, please submit phonebanking appearance requests 3-4 weeks in advance.
For the August 21st-22nd Weekend of Action, please submit requests by Friday, 7/30.
- 3 NEW POSTCARD STUDIES TARGETING VA VOTERS
SDAN has launched 3 new GOTV postcard studies and we will need your help! Over 90,000 addresses are currently available across 2 of our 3 studies. Addresses will be assigned on a first come first served basis, so sign up for addresses through this form as soon as you can!
With few of our campaigns needing postcards this year, the SDAN postcard studies are a great opportunity for your team to write Sister District postcards. There will be plenty of time to write these postcards, since they won’t need to be sent to our in-state partner until September or October. You can learn more about each study below:
- New Voters of Color Postcards (1 wave) – No addresses available
- Voter Education Postcards (2 waves)
- Votes and Values Postcards (1 wave)
- PLAN FOR AUGUST WEEKEND OF ACTION – SAT. 8/21 & SUN. 8/22
We’re celebrating the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th amendment in August. Host a fundraiser, do a special email friendraiser push, throw a party! If you’re phonebanking on the weekends, use this angle to promote. See: Weekends of Action Guide.
- ICYMI: TEAMS PAGES UPDATES
Has your team reviewed its web page recently? This is a great space to include upcoming events and other information about your team. Leaders can make updates directly — if you don’t have access, you can request editing access (select Updating Leader Information>Update existing leader info). If your team would rather HQ assist with updates, please email your detailed request directly to Mara at email@example.com.
- STATE BRIDGES: PA STANDS UP – TUE. 8/3
Our New Georgia Project Action Fund on July 20th, hosted by Sister District Sacramento and Sister District MA-RI was a huge success! We’ve raised over $8,300 for NGPAF! You can find a recording and transcript of that event, and all of our previous events on our State Bridges webpage here.
Up next is our event for PA Stands Up on Tuesday, August 3 at 5pm PT/ 8pm ET with Executive Director Hannah Laurison as our special guest. Please feel free to attend, promote, and/or become Co-Hosts for this event. The more the merrier!
You can check out our current schedule and sign up for future State Bridges events on our Mobilize page.
- BIPOC VOLUNTEER GROUP – THU. 8/5
Our next BIPOC Volunteer Group meeting will be on Thursday, August 5, 4pm PT / 7 PM EST! If you identify as BIPOC, we hope that you’ll join us! Please sign up here, and feel free to share this with fellow leaders and volunteers.
- POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUE. 8/10
Our next Political Director Call will be on Tuesday, August 10th at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Jarvis Houston, our Organizing and Political Director, will lead this call. Sign up here!
- LEADER CALL – THU. 8/19
Calling all leaders — please join our special All Hands on Deck: GOTV Prep call! We’ll talk about how to make the most of our final ten weeks and do small-group workshops to build out customized plans for voter contact and fundraising. Check out the notes and recording from last month’s Powerbuilding Workshop. See you Thursday, August 19 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Sign up here!
- GET SOCIAL WITH US!
- Candidate Spotlights are HERE! Jarvis and Delegate Cole brought the fire in this episode: Watch it here!
- Did you catch Lala and Gaby on JVN’s podcast? Check it out and share it on your team’s social channel: How Can We Mobilize For The Midterms?
- How should we talk about the Arizona SCOTUS ruling? Check out some messaging here!
- Should you talk about Critical Race Theory? NO! But if you have to, here is what you should say: How to talk about Critical Race Theory
- The Asset library is filled with goodies! From candidate graphics to phone banking graphics, it’s all here!
- WHAT & WHY: THE SIGN-UP FORM ON YOUR TEAM PAGE
How does someone living outside your team area get on your list? Your team has a team page at sisterdistrict.com/teams. There’s a JOIN US button on that team page that goes to a sign-up form. Anyone submitting that form — regardless of their zip code — will be added directly to your team’s list in Action Network and automatically given the “Volunteer” tag, which means they’ll be included in new sign-up reports.
- USING MOBILIZE FOR REMOTE POSTCARDING EFFORTS
If you have a solid system for signing up writers and collecting their address commitments, great, keep on keeping on. If you’re curious about using Mobilize to organize your projects, there is an option. Big thanks to Heidi at SD CA Peninsula for hacking the event type “Pledge/Interest Form” option and successfully managing their SDAN postcard sign-ups using Mobilize. To explore this option, please follow the list of steps described in this section of our How-To Mobilize Guide.