Wow! We’re doing great with phonebanking, making just shy of 50% of our campaigns’ total dials, and with fundraising, generating 32% of our campaigns’ small-dollar donations. But we need to accelerate our work in August so that we help our campaigns build and execute winning Get Out The Vote programs — Early Voting begins Sept 17.
“If one lights a fire for others, one will brighten one’s own way.”
IN THIS ISSUE
- Let’s Charge into Early Voting – Begins Sept 17
- Recruitment by Phone Works
- ICYMI: Request Candidates for Phonebanks
- Prepare to Activate New Volunteers
- ICYMI: 3 New Postcard Studies Targeting VA Voters
- ICYMI: Plan for August Weekend of Action – Sat. 8/21 & Sun. 8/22
- Pre-GOTV & GOTV Canvassing- Sat. 10/22 & Sun. 10/23 | Sat. 10/30 & Sun. 10/31
- BIPOC Volunteer Group – Thu. 8/5
- Political Director Call – Tue. 8/10
- State Bridges: Mothering Justice & We The People – Thu. 8/12
- Leader Call – Thu. 8/19
- SDAN Quarterly Update Call – Wed. 9/1
- CA-3 Matching Donation Blitz Success
- Thank and Resolict Donors Guide Updated
- State Bridges Tag in Action Network
- Get Social With Us!
- LET’S CHARGE INTO EARLY VOTING – BEGINS SEPT 17
The next six weeks are critically important in helping our campaigns build winning Get Out The Vote programs — use this framework as you make asks of donors and activate volunteers. For phonebanking, for example, connect the dots between the list-cleaning and voter identification work we do and how it helps campaigns to have that data before Sept 17. Sister District team leaders, over the next week your Organizing Department staffer will reach out to work with you on programming and organizing as we move to and through Early Voting!
Pro tip: Try initiating a Matching Donor Blitz (described below) advertised as a project to help campaigns build winning Get Out The Vote programs.
- RECRUITMENT BY PHONE WORKS
Phone recruitment by our summer Organizing Fellows for teams’ priority events saw a 23% contact rate and 48% of contacts saying yes to at least one ask. Recruitment by phone is a winner; let’s continue to invest in this tactic to build event attendance and increase fundraising — please talk to your Org Dept staffer & check out our guide here to create your next project.
- ICYMI: REQUEST CANDIDATES FOR PHONEBANKS
Teams hosting candidates at phonebanks in July saw an average 88% increase in attendance at those phonebanks. Just as with candidate appearances for fundraisers, please submit phonebanking appearance requests 3-4 weeks in advance.
- PREPARE TO ACTIVATE NEW VOLUNTEERS
We see an increase in volunteer sign-ups after Labor Day each year. Are you ready to activate these new folks? Make sure the right leaders are getting new volunteer report notifications each week; instructions on how to make changes here. See the Welcome Wagon Guide for a sample email for the homestretch. Please work with your Organizing Dept. staffer if you want any help.
- ICYMI: 3 NEW POSTCARD STUDIES TARGETING VA VOTERS
SDAN has launched 3 new GOTV postcard studies and we will need your help! About 80,000 addresses are currently available across 2 of our 3 studies. Addresses will be assigned on a first come first served basis, so sign up for addresses through this form as soon as you can!
With few of our campaigns needing postcards this year, the SDAN postcard studies are a great opportunity for your team to write Sister District postcards. There will be plenty of time to write these postcards, since they won’t need to be sent to our in-state partner until September or October. You can learn more about each study below:
- New Voters of Color Postcards (1 wave) – No addresses available
- Voter Education Postcards (2 waves)
- Votes and Values Postcards (1 wave)
- ICYMI: PLAN FOR AUGUST WEEKEND OF ACTION – SAT. 8/21 & SUN. 8/22
We’re celebrating the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th amendment in August. Host a fundraiser, do a special email friendraiser push, throw a party! If you’re phonebanking on the weekends, use this angle to promote. See: Weekends of Action Guide.
- PRE-GOTV & GOTV CANVASSING- SAT. 10/22 & SUN. 10/23 | SAT. 10/30 & SUN. 10/31
We’re gearing up for more intense field efforts as we get closer to GOTV! Is your team planning a canvassing trip to Virginia this year? Please let us know via our canvassing survey so we can help you plan! We may also be able to help you defray some costs with our Team Canvass Reimbursement Fund Guide. The final deadline to apply for travel funding is Monday, October 4 at 2pm PT / 5pm ET.
- BIPOC VOLUNTEER GROUP – THU. 8/5
Our next BIPOC Volunteer Group meeting will be on Thursday, August 5, 4pm PT / 7 PM EST! If you identify as BIPOC, we hope that you’ll join us! Please sign up here, and feel free to share this with fellow leaders and volunteers.
- POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUE. 8/10
Our next Political Director Call will be on Tuesday, August 10th at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Jarvis Houston, our Organizing and Political Director, will lead this call. Sign up here!
- STATE BRIDGES: MOTHERING JUSTICE & WE THE PEOPLE- THU. 8/12
Our PA Stands Up on August 3rd, hosted by Sister District MA-RI and Sister District NYC was a huge success! We’ve raised over $3,600 for PA Stands Up! You can find a recording and transcript of that event, and all of our previous events on our State Bridges webpage here.
Up next is our event for Mothering Justice and We The People on Thursday, August 12 at 5pm PT/ 8pm ET with Executive Directors Danielle Atkinson and Art Reyes as our special guests. This will be our last State Bridges event of the year, so please join us, promote the event, or become Co-Hosts. The more the merrier!
You can sign up for this final State Bridges event on our Mobilize page.
- LEADER CALL – THU. 8/19
Calling all leaders — please join our special All Hands on Deck: GOTV Prep call! We’ll talk about how to make the most of our final ten weeks and do small-group workshops to build out customized plans for voter contact and fundraising. Check out the notes and recording from last month’s Powerbuilding Workshop. See you Thursday, August 19 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Sign up here!
- SDAN QUARTERLY UPDATE CALL – WED. 9/1
SDAN’s next Quarterly Update call is on Wednesday, September 1 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Join SDAN SVP Gaby Goldstein and SDAN staff for updates about SD strategy, research projects, our programs supporting state legislators, and civic engagement programs.
Special Guests for September 1: Dr. Mallory Roman, Associate Director of Research at SDAN, and Ore Obiwumi, Program Associate at SDAN — join us for a Q&A about voter outreach research, our new Purple District Network, and an update about State Bridges and its future!
- CA-3 MATCHING DONATION BLITZ SUCCESS
Check out the newest Case Study in the Resource Library on Sister District CA-3’s successful “Match Monday” Matching Donation Blitz. CA-3 leaders Kelly and Meghan used the urgency of a one-day donor match to raise over $4,000 for their Virginia candidates. Two anonymous donors pledged to match $2,000 if the team could raise $2,000 from small dollar donations in a single day. They advertised through email, social media, and Hustle texting, and reached their goal to earn the match! Congratulations Kelly and Meghan.
- THANK AND RESOLICIT DONORS GUIDE UPDATED
The Thank and Resolicit Donors Guide has been updated in the Resource Library to include more examples of donor resolicitation. A great way to build fundraising momentum is by re-engaging donors who have given in the past. These are volunteers who are active and engaged in Sister District’s mission and may have the capacity to give again. Check out the guide for creative examples of fundraising with previous donors from fellow Sister District teams across the country.
- STATE BRIDGES TAG IN ACTION NETWORK
Action Network administrators will now see a State Bridges tag in the records of “activists” who either donated to a State Bridges organization or signed up on Mobilize for a State Bridges event. For more, see Tags & Tagging in Action Network.
- GET SOCIAL WITH US!
- Candidate Spotlights are going great! Check out the messaging guidance HERE!
- Need some help viewing our Instagram Lives? Check out the How-To Guide: Instagram Live
- Don’t forget to tune in to Mondays with Mallory and the Barbershop Series!
- The Asset library is filled with goodies! From candidate graphics to phone banking graphics, it’s all here!