First Wave of Candidate Endorsements
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 9, 2020
Sister District Announces Support For First Wave Of Candidates Across Nine States In 2020 Elections
Democratic grassroots organization endorses a wide range of progressive candidates across nine key states.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA– Today, the Sister District Project announced their support for candidates across nine states in their efforts to catalyze real progressive change by electing Democrats to state legislatures. With the national election in November and redistricting in 2021, they are working in states that provide Democrats a “last chance” to build power before redistricting and also have the biggest chance of flipping the Electoral College towards the Democratic presidential nominee.
This year, the Sister District endorsed candidates include:
- Felicia French for State Senate (AZ-6)
- Coral Evans for State Representative (AZ-6)
- Doug Ervin for State Senate (AZ-20)
- Judy Schweibert for State Representative (AZ-20)
- Cindy Polo for State Representative (FL-103)
- Shea Roberts for State Representative (GA-52)
- Laurie Pohutsky for State Representative (MI-19)
- Bonnie Westlin for State Senate (MN-34)
- Ann Johnson Stewart for State Senate (MN-44)
- Sydney Batch for State Representative (NC-37)
- Sarah Crawford for State Senate (NC-18)
- Frances Jackson for State Representative (NC-45)
- Brian Farkas for State Representative (NC-9)
- Brittney Rodas for State Representative (PA-105)
- Nancy Guenst for State Representative (PA-152)
- Jonathan Kassa for State Representative (PA-151)
- Sharon Hirsch for State Representative (TX-66)
- Ann Johnson for State Representative (TX-134)
- Robyn Vining for State Representative (WI-14)
Many states’ entire legislative chambers are up for grabs this year, and Sister District is strategically weighting their efforts towards candidates running in districts that are heavily gerrymandered by Republicans. Partisan gerrymandering has plagued elections for years and is the only way the GOP continues to remain in control in battleground states. By electing Democrats down the ballot before redistricting, district lines can be redrawn to ensure free and fair elections for the next decade.
“We are excited to endorse our first wave of 2020 candidates in such a critical election year,” said Rita Bosworth, the Executive Director of the Sister District Project. “It’s now or never— most of these races are the last chance for Democrats to have a seat at the table before redistricting. We have the momentum to win these races and finally reverse years of Republican gerrymandering in order to see real progressive change.”
Sister District has become a powerhouse in flipping legislative seats blue, and has grown to a 45,000+ volunteer network since their start in 2016. Last year, they played a pivotal role in delivering a Democratic trifecta to Virginia for the first time in a quarter of a decade, with eight of their candidates winning their races as well as all of their alumni candidates getting re-elected to their positions. In the 2018 midterms, they secured 13 state legislative seats for Democrats in swing states including Arizona, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Michigan.
Sister District will be releasing their second wave of endorsements in June.
The Sister District Project works to turn states blue by winning state legislative elections. We “sister” volunteers from deep blue districts with carefully targeted races in swing districts, where flipping control of the state legislature will help end partisan gerrymandering.
Since launching in the wake of the 2016 elections, the Sister District Project has grown to over 60,000 volunteers across the country. Our volunteers have raised over $1.9 million in small-dollar donations directly to candidates and reached out to over 2 million voters via phones, doors, postcards, and texts.