Release of Liability
In consideration of my use of the Sister District Project, Inc. (“Sister District”) website, and my participation in any of the activities, political programs, and/or other volunteer opportunities (collectively “Activities”) described therein, I hereby agree to the terms set forth in this Release.
1. Assumption of risk. I acknowledge that engaging in volunteer political activities, such as canvassing and attending rallies and protests, carries a measure of risk, including risk of serious injury or death. We live in an unpredictable world, and accidents sometimes happen. And, while horrific and entirely unacceptable, incidents from the 2016 Presidential campaign show that sometimes even intentional acts of violence may occur at highly charged political events. I elect voluntarily to participate in the Activities, and I assume all of the risks of participating in the Activities.
2. Release. On behalf of myself and my assigns, heirs, legal representatives, executors, agents and any organization or entity with which I am affiliated, I hearby RELEASE AND DISCHARGE SISTER DISTRICT and its directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives and successors (collectively, the “Released Parties”) FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, RIGHTS, DEBTS, SUITS, COMPLAINTS, PROMISES, CROSS-CLAIMS, CONTROVERSIES, DAMAGES, AND/OR DISPUTES asserted or unasserted, known or unknown, that arise in any way from my participation in the Activities, or any other volunteer political activities undertaken on my own. In addition, I hereby expressly waive the provisions of Section 1542 of the Civil Code of the State of California, and I understand that said section provides:
A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.
3. Indemnity. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), claims and rights of action arising from my participation in the Activities.
4. Volunteer. I understand that my decision to participate in the Activities is purely voluntary, that I am not an employee of any of the Released Parties, and that I am not entitled to, and will not seek, any compensation, benefits, or other consideration from the Released Parties.
5. Severability. I agree that if any portion or provision of this Release is found to be invalid or unenforceable, then the remainder of this Release will continue in full force and effect. I also agree that any invalid provision will be modified or partially enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law to carry out the purpose of the Release.
6. Choice of law; venue. I agree that this Release shall be governed by the laws of California for all purposes, without regard to its conflict of law principles, and that it shall fully bind my heirs, assigns, executors and legal representatives. I agree that any dispute arising from this Release shall be brought only in the state or federal courts located in California, and I further agree to the jurisdiction and venue of those courts for any such dispute.
7. Representation. I represent and warrant that (a) I am at least 18 years of age (or the applicable age of majority in my state of residence), (b) I have the power and authority to execute and deliver this Release, and (c) my participation in the Activities will not constitute a breach of any contractual obligations to which I am currently subject.
By using this website and signing up to as a volunteer I understand that I waive my legal rights, and, I voluntarily agree to be bound by all of the Release’s terms.
Effective and Last Updated: 2017 April 9