About Sister District
2021-1-15 Political Director Dispatch
I hope everyone was able to rest and relax over the holidays – and that you are all hanging in during the rollercoaster that has been 2021’s start. As we look to the year ahead, there is much work to be done, and I look forward to continuing our work to build progressive power in the states together.
I hope this Dispatch is useful! As always, please reach out anytime if you have thoughts or feedback.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Impact Report – Live
- 2021-2022 Sister District Strategy – Live
- Resources Related to Insurrections
- Next Political Director Call – January 12 at 5 pm PT / 8 pm ET
1. IMPACT REPORT – LIVE
Our 2020 Impact Report is live! This great document demonstrates and documents the amazing work you all did in 2020. The purpose of the Impact Report is to give our members and stakeholders an in-depth understanding of what we all did, and why it mattered. I hope the report will be useful to you as a tool for communicating with your teams and volunteers about our collective work and its outsized impact. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know. It is on our website, and in PDF form.
2. 2021-2022 STRATEGY – LIVE
Our 2021-2022 Sister District Strategy is live! Similar to 2019-2020, we’ve crafted our strategy over a two-year time horizon, to maximize the strategic value of our work and to have clear goals to work towards over time. As always, our strategy includes both electoral and non-electoral components. We are particularly excited about expanding our non-electoral work in 2021 to complement our electoral work, given the smaller field of state legislative elections in 2021 and the potentially delayed timing of Virginia’s elections due to census data delivery and redistricting. We will continue to release more information about the strategy as it is available.
3. INSURRECTION RESOURCES
- The January 6 insurrection in DC was shocking and disturbing. Sister District released a statement condemning the violence in the Capitol, and tying it back to the extremist violence we’ve seen at state houses over the past year.
- On that point, Dave Daley and I published an op ed on CNN yesterday arguing that state houses have been ground zero for escalating extremism and we must all pay much more attention to our state houses.
- Also, as I mentioned on our call, it’s a really tough time to be a Democratic state legislator — please give our alums some love on social media to show your support and solidarity! <3
- I hope these materials and suggestions are useful to you all as you discuss these developments with your teams and volunteers.
4. NEXT POLITICAL DIRECTOR CALL – TUESDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2021
The next Political Director Call will be Tuesday, February 9 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. Register here. Calls are open to all District Captains and Affiliate leaders; these are not recorded.