2020 Candidate Appearance Fundraiser with Sister District SF
Raising for: Felicia French and Coral Evans
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Time: 5-6 PM
Attendees: 26, including host and two Fundraising Committee Members
Total raised: $3,570 with 27 donors
What were your steps to put the party together?
- Confirm candidate availability for party date/time
- Request ActBlue link for inclusion in invitation
- Set date, create guest list, create invitation => sent two weeks ahead (would have been sooner, but host/candidate availability came up quickly)
- Create script/run of show – send to campaign
- Pre-meeting with campaign manager 3 days before to talk through script/run of show via Zoom
How did you recruit for the party?
- Invited friends
How did you confirm/remind RSVPs?
- Evite reminders
- Email a few days before sending Zoom link
How did you prepare for the party?
- Decide roles for intro of Sister District, candidates, Q&A and fundraising ask
- Pre-Zoom meeting with campaign manager
- Meet 30 minutes before party start to reconfirm script roles
How did the party flow? What happened?
- Guests arrive via Zoom – chatting (about 5-10 minutes)
- Host starts party – Give a personal host welcome/introduction about why you love Sister District (5 minutes at most)
- Fundraising Committee Member gives the intro to SDP and the candidate(s) or other speaker(s) (5 minutes)
- Each candidate or speaker introduces themselves (10 minutes each)
- Q&A with speaker(s)/candidate(s) (10 minutes)
- Fundraising Committee Member gives the fundraising pitch and shares screen with donation information (aka “The Ask”) and walk-through the ActBlue donation process (5 minutes); talk about donation menu while people donate
- Final tally given at end; thank everyone for coming and thank candidate(s) and speaker(s)
- A few minutes to chat at the beginning
- Have two Fundraising Committee Members, one to intro Sister District while the other lets guests in from waiting room (the party host was a Fundraising Committee Member)
- Have one guest prepped/planted with first question to get the Q&A ball rolling; have other questions ready in case guests are shy about asking
- Alternating as much as possible between candidates answering questions and have Q&A facilitator direct the question to one or the other first to avoid candidates’ having to take time to figure out who will answer first
- For ask, use a QR code connected to AB link on screen share and AB link in Zoom chat (no text-to-donate necessary)
- Free QR code generator
- Copy/paste the ActBlue link into the box
- Download/save the JPG of the QR code generated
- Insert the JPG into a PDF, Ppt slide or Google slide to screen share during the ask
- Instruct guests to hold their phone’s camera up to the code on their screen; a popup will appear that they click to take them to the ActBlue donation page
- Free QR code generator
- Talking about the donation menu while guests make their donations
What challenges did you encounter and how did you navigate?
- Host had to be reminded to send the Zoom link to the campaigns the night before the party – oops!
- Host was late working on script, and we were therefore late getting it to the campaigns
If you do this again, what would you do differently?
- Make sure the campaign has the script and Zoom link a few days before the party
What suggestions do you have for staff in preparing teams to plan/execute similar parties?
Invitation and reminder communications:
- Evite invitation with Evite follow up and email follow up with Zoom link a few days before the party
- Post-party email to those who couldn’t attend to remind them to donate (brought in 3 more donations)
- Personal post-party thank you to donors; I believe she mailed thank you notes